Saturday, April 28, 2007

When Mama isn't Happy

dodging landmines,
she
does the dance the world expects.

a quick step
slide
on heels, in a dress.

and she would never say
it wasn't worth the strain
their baby faces calling out her name
at 4 a.m.

then day after endless
day
holding back hurricanes,
those
mammoths running wild in the
freeway lanes,

all fighting for the last seat on the train.


she knows
she has it lucky.

numb eyed watching tv,
late night,

thinking about getting on medication or something.

she knows she has it
lucky.

twist to make the moments all fit.
she isn't gonna run.

let the school bus go and come,
go and come.

hop, skip, jump-

be one of the lucky ones.

and with a thud
another landmine hits the door.

there is no time left to think
anymore.

just be lucky,


lucky.



By Sara Pufahl
This poem was submitted to Skint Writer's poetry contest.

3 comments:

The Wandering Author said...

I like this, Sara! It's the kind of poem you need to read over and over, one that sticks in your mind.

writerwoman said...

Thanks, Ray.

You know, today I am not feeling very lucky. Like the poem seems about. Today is one of those bad, hard days for me ( not writing related though). But, as the poem says, there is no time to stop and wallow in that.....in the grand scheme of it all I am lucky.

But, today, I feel....like I really want it to be tommorow already.


Thank you so much for commenting. This blog could use a lot more active participation from members and the world at large. I suppose in time we will see if it lasts or not. At least, I can count on you ( and some others). It means a lot.


Sara

Clockworkchris said...

Hi Sara, I thought this blog was only for stories and I haven't been for a visit in a while. I wish you the best of luck on your poem entry-I really enjoyed it. I rarely thought of how difficult life must be for a mother until I left for college and came home. Then I realized all I had taken for grantit. Your poem is very clear about that and yet so poetic using the right words and great descriptions and metaphors.