Saturday, February 10, 2007

1589.81 Miles

Reaching, never touching,
but reaching nonetheless
for that burning star,
that heartfelt dream within
a dream, constant thought,
caressing comfort shattered,
stained glass on the pavement.

Roaming and watching
for the one, perhaps only
chance to be the breeze
and ride to the matching beat
a newfound heart makes
in love.

Made better by the tangible
that is, in this moment,
intangible for both sides,
for it, the heart,
the soul, the being, is
exactly 1589.81 miles away,
leaving me exactly 1589.81 miles
away from where I want to be.

Bio:
My name is Jaime McDougall. I'm twenty years old and a freelance writer,novelist, poet, short story writer, etc. I can be found at http://www.fictionscribe.com/ talking about the highs, lows, and annoyances ofthe writing trade.
-- http://www.fictionscribe.com/ - A creative writing site with advice,writing exercises, and more.

6 comments:

The Wandering Author said...

Jaime, nice. I like the way you use such a precise number; exactly as any lover would do, calculating the distance down to the last foot. And I really liked "reaching nonetheless for that burning star". Quite a big idea, to pack into so few words.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. I'm quite proud of this poem. :)

Jaime @ FictionScribe

RomanceWriter said...

I adored the way you got the miles down to the exact number because it brought to life the longing in a way nothing else could.

Anonymous said...

To have been vague would have taken away from the piece, I think.

Thank you very much. :)

Jaime

gautami tripathy said...

I like the title. And the flow of it.

AQUARIUSSAL said...

*sigh* this poem reminds me of when I had a long distance relationship... more than 11,000km away! So poignant, so sigh-making... :) Good one Jaime!